Isapgul (Ispaghula), also known as Psyllium seed husks, are portions of the seeds of the plant Plantago ovata, found mainly in India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan. The plant has a big flower like structure which contains psyllium seeds. Isapgul is extensively used in the field of Ayurveda. It is renowned for its mild diuretic, laxative, and cooling effects. A reserve of soluble dietary fibre is called isapgul. Some recent research has shown they may be effective in lowering cholesterol and supervising certain types of diabetes. It has properties to absorb bacteria and other harmful contaminants present in the intestine. It gives the intestinal wall the required lubrication.
The various benefits that are related to Isapgul are given as below:
1) Isapgul has natural laxative properties. It is full of fiber. It develops in the digestive tract. Its gelatin basis promotes regular bowel movements naturally. As it is hygroscopic in nature, it absorbs water from the intestine which helps in increasing the consistency of stool.
2) It’s an amazing natural product that can cure both constipation and diarrhea. During diarrhea, if it is mixed in curd and consumed, it heals the infection caused due to diarrhea as curd is full of probiotics.
3) Psyllium husks create a protective wall of the stomach and reduce the excessive secretion of digestive acid. It annuls the effect of the acid in the stomach.
4) Since it is hygroscopic in nature, it absorbs the harmful toxins while passing through the colon. It is the best effective way to cleanse the colon.
5) It prevents heart diseases. Isapgul is full of fiber. It collects the cholesterol due to its hygroscopic nature. It cleans stomach and intestine wall from the excess deposition of toxins and the oily substance. It stops food fat from being absorbed.
6) It promotes digestion: It aids in food digestion because it is high in fibre. It scrubs the stomach wall from excessive toxins and also helps the stomach in the movement of food through the intestine.
7) Isapgul has natural gelatin substance which slows down the breaking down and absorption of glucose in our body. As a result, it reduces glucose intake and manages diabetes.
8) It helps in curing piles and fissures. It contains a high amount of fiber. When there are fissures and piles, it helps to heal the bowels. It works as a natural stool softener and eases the passage of stool.
Apart from these advantages, Isapgul doesn’t have any such kind of disadvantages. Any grave allergic reaction related to Isapgul is rareIt has no negative side effects and is safe to take. Taking it with any type of liquid components is a necessity otherwise, it may cause choking. In some cases, stomach cramping may occur.
Do you know some more? Are you interested in sharing your experience of Isapgul? We would love to hear from you. Your feedback regarding the article is also greatly appreciated. So, do write to us!